Hidden / Invisible Disabilities
Facts about Psychiatric Disabilities
- FACT: Onset of psychiatric disability is often between the ages of 17 – 25.
- FACT: Each year about 1 in 5 Americans is diagnosed with a psychiatric disability.
- FACT: Improvements in pharmacological treatment has contributed to an increase in the number of students with psychiatric disabilities enrolling in college.
- FACT: Of all postsecondary students reporting a disability, 15 – 21% report a psychiatric disability.
- FACT: Each person’s experience with disability is unique.
- FACT: Empirical research does not support a link between psychiatric disability and violent behavior.
© 2007-2008. Center on Disability Studies. All rights reserved.