The Center on Disability Studies (CDS) at the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa projects, “Teaching All Students, Reaching All Learners,” focus on postsecondary Professional Development (PD) and evaluation in areas, including Universal Design for Learning (UDL); Cultural Diversity (Multiculturalism); and Mentoring.
Each module is designed to train faculty and staff in higher education in how to identify issues and strategies related to educating a diverse population. They can be used individually or integrated together.
The Cultural Diversity module is designed to educate faculty about who their students are and how their backgrounds may affect teaching and learning. The Universal Design for Learning and Mentoring modules provide faculty with specific tools they can use to meet the needs of these diverse learners. It is hoped that in combination, these three modules will provide faculty with both the motivation and the tools that they need to teach more effectively and provide strategies to increase in the retention and matriculation of all students.
PowerPoint and html module presentations on each of these topics are available at: http://www.ist.hawaii.edu/modules/
Building on the successes of implementing presentations about these modules in and integrating them into the University of Hawai‘i system, the project looks toward replication of these strategies for working with all postsecondary students, including students with disabilities.
The modules can be presented in either face-to-face or virtual environments, easily lending them to replication. We are looking forward to working with other postsecondary institutions around the United States to replicate this Professional Development model. For more detail, see the SDDL Replication Brief or contact: Megan Conway, Training Director, at email@example.com or 808-956-6166 or Kelly Roberts, Project Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 808-956-0996.
SDDL Replication Brief
- SDDL Replication Brief (Doc Format)
- Reaching ALL Learners Integrated Training (PPT Format)
- Welcoming Environment Mini Brief (Doc Format)
Universal Design for Learning
- Diversity Mini Brief (Doc Format)
- Disability Culture Mini Brief (Doc Format)
- Multiculturalism Excercise (Doc Format)
- Mentoring Mini Brief (Doc Format)
- Mentoring and Disability Mini Brief (Doc Format)
- Mentoring Excercise (Doc Format)
Information about Replication
- Information for Recruiters (Doc Format)
- Information for Replicating SDDL Modules (Doc Format)
- Information for Study Participants (Doc Format)
- Replication Recruiter Agreement (Doc Format)